3.21.2009

Have you ever had a week where the days blended into eachother and seconds become hours and dawns into days, and you're left reeling in stupor like what the bonkers just happened? ...I guess its a Beijing thing then.

I vaguely remember attending the Best of Beijing Restaurant awards on Monday, where I got a peek at Ai Wan, the actress cum socialite cum nightclub owner of the Chinadoll establishment in Beijing. I was um, a bit taken aback by how much (or not) it takes to make it big in the Beijing nightlife arena. Gold discoball dress, tacky haircut, highpitched voice and all. Highlight was definitely catching a peek at the legendary Daniel Boulud of the newly opened Maison Boulud in Beijing's legation quarter. I cannot wait to pay his instutition a visist next month during gourmet month when prices fall down from the heavens a bit so that us mere mortals can enjoy French cuisine fit for the gods.

Let's skip over Tuesday and Wednesday, for reasons unexplicable. Something about a national Irish drinking holiday and open bar plus tequila. Wouldn't want to bore you with the details. Fast forward to Thursday, when I went to the gorgeous Opposite House Hotel with my fabulous friend Dave and witnessed Beijing's community of gays and lesbians out in full flamboyancy on the resident gay night at the boutique hotel's swank Mesh Bar. I was propositioned for the first time by a woman. Flattering, but she quickly found out that, unless you are Scarlett Johanson or Halle Berry, my answer is likely going to be no. And that's about as climactic as my week got.

Yesterday Clare, Cat and I did some sightseeing at the Lama Temple and took a walk through the surrounding hutongs. Some lovely photos from that to come. And now I'm off with three friends for a couple days in Sancha, a remote village next to the most untouched part of the great wall. I cannot wait to get away from the city and breathe in some mountain air!

No comments:

Post a Comment